10/2/11

Book Review: "The Grace Of God", Andy Stanley

Overview:  A-
Pros:  Very readable
Cons:  Wasn't as "meaty" as I had hoped
Recommend:  Yes

I wasn't sure what to think going into reading this book, knowing little about Andy Stanley and having never read anything by him before.  But I've been pleasantly surprised.  Mr. Stanley points out very well how grace began with creation, how giving the law to Moses centuries ago was an act of grace meaning to point them and us to Christ, and how grace is not meant for good people.  This book was very well written and very easy to read and it certainly spurred me into thinking more about God's amazing grace!  A bonus is I've come to see some of the Bible's stories in a whole new light -- especially the story of the woman at the well.

So why did I give it an "A-" instead of something better?  There were parts of the book that just weren't "meaty" enough for me, if that makes any sense.  Despite thinking more about grace and seeing some Biblical characters in a new light, I still felt like this book was a "light" read.  And while I wouldn't have said it before I read the book, I guess I really was looking for "TGOG" to challenge me and I didn't really get that.  Overall, though, reading "TGOG" has been a great experience for me and I would definitely recommend it to other readers.

Disclaimer:  I received a copy of this book for free in return for agreeing to review it.  Check out http://www.booksneeze.com/ for more information.

No comments: