9/4/07

I'm so excited I can hardly stand it!!

I hope it's the sign of things to come!! Some of you may know, some of you may not, so let me enlighten you -- we have been having a HORRIBLE time with potty training in this house! Nathan was a breeze....it's taken us FOREVER it feels like with Caleb and we're not even there yet! For several weeks, maybe even 2 months now, we've been able to keep him dry during the day but only IF we reminded him to go. Accidents, he blamed on US for not reminding him to go. As far as staying dry AND clean, forget about it, until just a very few days ago. While my Mom was here, we got him to go poop in the potty a few times but we still had more accidents that not. Well, guess what happened today?!?! First of all, he came up to me about 11:30 right before I was about to remind him to go and TOLD ME HE HAD TO GO! I was blown away but reminded myself not to get too excited. Well, then, during school time, he stopped halfway through what he was doing and told me he had to go and -- here's the best part -- actually made it to the potty AND pooped ON HIS OWN!! I don't know what to do with myself!

As for Elizabeth - I think my Mom was convinced she'd get Elizabeth started while she was here. People are constantly telling us "You need to take that girl to the potty -- she's asking to go!". True, indeed, she does ask to go. However, as my Mom can now testify to, she sits there for just a few seconds (although my Mom did get her to sit a little while longer) and, 9 times out of 10, nothing happens. Absolutely nothing. Not even right after waking up, not even right before a bath with the bath tub filling up with water, absolutely nothing! As the old adage goes, "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink". I don't know what to do!! So, we walk around looking like neglectful and lazy parents when our daughter tells others (like Sunday School/nursery workers) that she has to go and they take her to find she's still in a diaper. We've tried pull-ups with her but I'm telling you -- they aren't as absorbent as diapers. With Caleb, we had no problems - he wore pull-ups forever day in and day out and rarely did we have a soaking-through-his-clothes kind of accident. Not with Elizabeth -- can't figure out if it's her or the pull-ups. Anyway, if anyone has any advice on what I might be able to try OR wants to reassure me that I just need to wait a little while longer (even though she says she has to go and even though she's already 3), please drop a comment! And pray for us, too -- maybe we can get her at least a little trained before the baby comes! =)

No comments: