10/9/07

Cinderella

In case you haven't figured it out yet, I'm what you might call a Steven Curtis Chapman fan (he he). He's got a new album, "This Moment", coming out on the 23rd (mourning the fact that funds won't allow a release day purchase of this one -- will have to wait for Christmas). There's a song on the new album that I've heard on his website and on a few on-line interviews that makes me cry nearly every time I hear it. I have more "Prince's" in my house than "Cinderella's" but the message is so true, regardless. SCC's oldest daughter is 21 years old but they have 3 little girls they adopted from China that are 8 and younger (and 2 teenage boys in between, touring as musicians with their Dad right now). He tells the story of trying to get his youngest 2 daughters in the bath one night, already running behind. While trying to rush through bath, he turns around to realize that Stevey and Maria had disappeard out of the tub. They reappear in their Cinderella dress-up costumes. "Look, Daddy, we're going to the ball." He throws them back in the tub, rushes through bath time, and tucks them into bed telling them to limit their prayers to immediate family only that night ("No praying for the orphans in Africa tonight, girls!" -- hilarious story when he tells it). After he closes the door to go back to "work" writing this new album, he says God whispers to his heart one name -- Emily Chapman (his 21-year-old). He suddenly realizes that God is trying to tell him to slow down, to savor the moments he has with these girls while he has them because he's not going to have them forever. Out of that night, the song "Cinderella" is born. He goes through 3 verses -- one, she's pretending to be going to the ball and needs to practice her dancing; 2nd verse, she's preparing for the prom; and the 3rd verse, she's showing off her engagement ring, asking her dad to help her practice dancing for the wedding. The last chorus:
So I will dance with Cinderella
While she is here in my arms
'Cause I know something the Prince never knew....
Oh, I will dance with Cinderella
I don't want to miss even one song
'Cause I know something the Prince never knew
All too soon, the clock will strike midnight
And she'll be gone
(Crying yet? Must be my hormones!) The family has gotten into blogging and I particularly like to follow Mary Beth's (SCC's wife). Her latest entries are from visiting Anderson University in Indiana where she and Steven met. Mary Beth says how weird it is to be walking down memory lane with her boys in tow and ends one post with "Time goes by, ya'll....Hug your kids!". I have days like that already and Nathan is only 8! What will life be like in 10 years?!?! I'm going to go hug my Princes and Cinderella now!

No comments: