Trip to the hospital, take 2

So.....was feeling kinda bad last night while getting dinner ready. TERRIBLE backache but felt better while on the couch, feet propped up, heating pad on. Jonathan took older 4 to church and I put Timothy to bed and enjoyed a quiet hour and a half by myself and everything seemed to be okay, unless I tried to walk around anywhere. Finally went to bed around 11 and was able to sleep until 5 this morning. Woke up for the standard middle-of-the-night bathroom break and then went back to bed. Backache back and I had the urge to get up and move around when I finally realized the backache was coming with contractions. Finally about 6:30 broke down and told Jonathan I felt like I needed to go to the hospital with the contractions. Good news, pretty much, but it was a good thing that I decided to go in. Fetal Fibronectin Test (the one they do to see if you're going to go into labor within the next 2 weeks) was negative and while my cervix was still the same measurements as 2 weeks ago, I was dilated to 1 which is not good news. I was given a shot of terbutaline to stop the contractions and given my first dose of beta-methasone which helps mature the baby's lungs in preparation for a preterm labor. Terb worked for a bit but then the contractions came back fast and strong. Thankfully, after an hour of hard contractions, I was unchanged at 1 cm. They were debating what to do about the contractions when we learned that my lab work was back showing an elevated white blood cell count and a urinary tract infection. UTI's, in case you didn't know, will cause preterm labor which explains not only why I was having such horrible contractions but why I was actually starting to dilate. We're home now and I've started antibiotics for the UTI and the contractions are milder and farther apart. I am keeping my 9:30 appointment tomorrow morning to make sure things are still the same and also to get the 2nd and final dose of the beta-methasone. Taking it easy tonight, Jonathan stayed home all day (bless him!), and will see what tomorrow yields. But, as long as things are the same, I should be okay.

No comments: